Below you can find the rules and guidelines applied on the HP CodeWars 2018 edition back in March 3rd, 2018.
For any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- HP CodeWars is open to students in 3r. d’ESO, 4rt d’ESO, Batxillerat or
Cicles Formatius de Grau Mitjà (students born after 2000, included)
- A team sponsor must be a representative from the school, preferably a teacher.
- All team members are required to be from the same school. Mixing of
students among different schools is NOT allowed.
- Maximum of 2 teams per school is allowed.
- In case that we open a second round registration, we will allow then a third
team for the schools - the teams from the same school can have the same sponsor
(preferably only one).
- All the participating students and sponsor (school representative) must register
the day of the event with an official ID (DNI, NIE). Participants should carry
in a visible place the ID card issued by HP at all times during the event.
- HP reserves the right to disqualify a student/team in case they do not meet the
- Each team is responsible to get their own Laptop and Battery Charger (ONLY one
PC per team is allowed) for the competition (bringing a second laptop as a
backup is recommended).
- Printers or other electronic devices are NOT allowed inside the
- NOTE -- Cell phones and broadband network cards are NOT
allowed during the competition. If you are observed using either of
these during the Code Wars competition, your team is subject to immediate
disqualification. May you need to be contacted via cell phone
during the competition, your phone should be left with your team sponsor and you
should notify HP CodeWars staff.
- Must have an internet browser like Internet Explorer or Google Chrome
Development software allowed for competition:
- Java. Suggest Java 7u51, though any recent version should be fine
- Python 2, Python 3
- C/C++. You need an ANSI-compatible C/C++ compiler that can create a
self-contained Windows command-line executable
- Teams need to solve around 30 problems in 3 hours
- Each problem carries a point value, with values increasing with problem
- The goal is to collect as many points as possible within the stipulated time (3
hours). At the end, the team with the most points wins!
- In case of draw, HP CodeWars judges will get a result (based on the
team code optimization).
- Top three teams with the highest amount of points will get the awards
Competition Rules / Guidelines
- The judges' rulings are final.
- All solutions must programmatically determine the results. In other words, your
solution cannot just print out a solution to a problem that you determined by
hand. The judges will be using some different data sets for your programs at the
- Your team will have a number programming tasks to choose from. You probably will
not be able to solve them all, so you are advised to study them and choose your
- HP CodeWars utilizes a custom browser-based submission/judging/scoring
system via either a hardwired network or 802.11x wireless network. Please ensure
that your computer has an Ethernet port, and is wireless-capable before the
event day. If you can connect to a public wireless network (e.g. the public
library or Panera) and browse the Internet, you should be in good shape. Some
school computers have security lockdowns that prevent wireless configuration, so
please verify this before you come.
- Each team will receive a unique team login and password for the competition.
- The participant will have to set-up in the competition system using the provided
user name and password.
- The code will be written directly on the competition software provided by HP, so
there is no need to install or bring any SDK, IDE, etc.
- There is no limit to the number of submissions you can make to solve a given
problem. However, note that in the case of a tie score, the winners will be
determined by the fewest incorrect submissions.
- Any necessary corrections to contest problems will be displayed to all
competitors on your team page in the contest system, and announced in the
- Team sponsors are not allowed to be with the team during the competition.
- Additional rules, modifications, and more details will be made available to you
on the day of the event.
- Kindly note that all the students have to be on time to setup
their computers so that the contest begins efficiently.