- What is the HP CodeWars about?
- It is a programming competition that has been taking place for 20+ years, starting in Houston (USA). It is now a well-known event among the American students. Today, the competition has spread to several HP sites in USA, Europe and Asia.
- Who can participate?
- For 2022 event, all the students from 3rd ESO to 2nd Bachillerato or attending FP (up to 18 years old, only students born after 2004 included) even if they do not have advanced knowledge in programming but are fond of learning and competing!
- How and when can I register for the event?
- A school sponsor (teacher) must register the teams – always from the same school. As the number of participants is limited, we encourage you to register your teams right after the registration opens via this website. The teams have to be registered in order of preference and the HP CodeWars organization will give registration priority to those teams including at least one girl!
- Why is HP organizing it?
- We aim to raise the interest in computer Science among the youth, identify the talent among the local students and foster the use of English. We also target to promote an educational, collaborative and fun contest!
- When and where will the competition take place and what is the agenda of the event?
The competition will take place on Saturday morning, the 5th of March 2022, in its second virtual edition through a Zoom webinar and an internal HP platform to enable the coding competition, that will last 3 hours.
The event will start at 10:00hrs and after welcoming the students and giving the instructions, the competition will start at 10:30hrs until 13:30hrs. The students would have a lunch break and connect again at 15hrs for the awards ceremony.
While the competition is ongoing, there will be a separate activity for teachers.
- How will the problems be? Which will be the level of difficulty?
The whole event and competition will be in English. There will be around 30 different problems of increasing difficulty, the first one will be the easiest and the last one the hardest. The more difficult the problem is, the more points you will earn by solving it! The 3 teams with the greater sum of points will be awarded with the 3rd, 2nd and the 1st prizes. The allowed programming languages are: C, C++, Python and Java. No matter if you are an expert in programming or not, you will be able to solve at least some problems, learn a lot, have fun and get ready for future editions!
Read more in Rules and guidelines tab.
- What teams will be awarded?
- The first, second and third teams with the best scores, the best Sub-16 team and the best team composed by girls only.
- What are the rewards and prizes?
The three winning teams will be awarded with brand-new HP laptops and other HP, OMEN or HyperX products.
- How to get ready for the competition?
Visit the Resources tab above to find some tips and tricks and resources to prepare the contest.
You can refer to past editions’ problems in our website or visit the websites below. You will find in this booklet some examples of problems used in past editions!
- What if I have more questions?
- If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact us via email at email@example.com.